The colourful houses of Burano
We were lucky to visit one of the most colourful places in the world- Burano. This tiny island is as picturesque as a real life canvas. You just cannot take your eyes off the brightly painted houses. It is like a return to toyland.
Burano is a fishing village in the Venetian lagoon. It takes a short vaporetto ride from Fondamente Nouve in Northern Venice to reach here. Burano is famous for its lace making industry. But it is equally famous for its colourful houses.
Legend has it that the fishermen painted their houses brightly so that they could be spotted from sea. Others say that it helped them convey messages to the correct house if disaster struck. The colours of the houses follow a specific system. Today, if someone wishes to paint their home, one must send a request to the government, who will respond allowing certain colours for that area.
Today, I don’t think you will need any captions. Just enjoy the vivid colours from our excursion to this quaint archipelago.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)