Rikki Tikki Tavi in my garden!
Hey I spotted Kipling’s Rikki Tikki Tavi with his entire family in my garden! I didn’t know that this mongoose family (mongooses? mongeese?!) likes taking a morning walk on the boundary wall! But what a gorgeous fur coat the Indian grey mongoose has!
The Indian grey mongoose. At least four of these creatures live in MLK colony. BTW did you know that the word mongoose is derived from the Marathi मुंगूस?
The mongoose is a fast and agile hunter with a thick coat and specialized acetylcholine receptors which render them resistant to snake venom (That’s what Wikipedia says.. don’t ask me how!)
The Hindu god of wealth, Kuber is often portrayed holding a mongoose in his left hand, hence the sight of a mongoose is considered lucky by some. Let’s see if Kuber pays me a visit now!
Indian grey mongoose, Sevagram, 27 November 2015 and 10 February 2015
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)